Aug 3 '15
It’s hard to imagine the internet without Google. Can’t remember the name of that guy on the TV screen? Google it. Want to find out how to make your meringue nice and fluffy? Google it. Not sure of the winning answer in the pub quiz? Google it…. secretly. You get the idea. But one of the biggest companies in the world doesn’t stop there, and has been running its own social network since June 2011. Meet Google+.
Google+ doesn’t hog the limelight from Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn – in fact it’s been criticised by some as being a social network for ‘Google employees’ only. Considering the huge company behind it, it’s a bit of an underdog. It’s ‘up-and-coming’. But with a good profile and some clever tactics, Google+ can be a fantastic networking tool for any business. A business page on Google+ can help you make sure your sending the right messages to the right people and ensure you’re getting promoted on every corner of the web with the force of the Google machine behind you.
In our Google+ overview we’ll guide you through getting started with Google+, developing your business page and presence and give an insight into how you can promote and measure your brand and business.
10 great things to with Google+
- Share – Google+ is a new way to share your news and updates with a new, interested network. You can share links, images and videos in a variety of different ways.
- Circles – Circles let you organise the way you talk to your followers. Manage different Circles of people to ensure you’re getting the right message across to the right people.
- Hangouts – Hangouts let you message, video and voice call with customers and colleagues all over the world, from any device. Loads of features here, so definitely worth a proper look around.
- Explore – The Explore function gives you the opportunity to find out what’s hot and what’s not in your business category, with your followers and within your business itself.
- Events – Promote business events in a brand new way. Invite followers, sync event details with Google Calendar and even share live photo streams with ‘Party Mode’. No need to chase down your guests for their pictures – everyone can contribute to one shared photo collection.
- +1 – Share things on your business Google+ page with the click of a button. Anytime you see a Google +1 button on a website you can instantly share on your page. Also, by adding the +1 button to your website, you allow your users to recommend your content to their circles and drive traffic to your site.
- Local – Use the Local tab to find out what’s popular in your local area. Search for nearby businesses and services and make sure that you are on the map.
- Communities – There are topic communities, industry communities and many legal communities. Posting in these communities often doubles, or even triples the amount of +1s or shares your content can receive on the social network. There are some very good communities for lawyers on Google+… cunningly called Lawyers and Attorneys on Google+, Lawyers on G+, UK Lawyers and International Corporate Lawyers. Something you definitely need to check out. There are also various smaller specialist groups that you can find here. And don’t forget… you can also just type “solicitors on Google”+ into the search bar and come up with individual listings like this.
- Measure – Use the Google+ built-in analytics features to study who is visiting your site and how far your messages are reaching.
- Enjoy the results – Google+ is the perfect way to share your business stories amongst one of the biggest brands on the internet.
Google+ remains an often undervalued and misunderstood social network. This is particularly the case when it comes to legal marketing professionals. If you want to look at some examples of law firms then check out The Morales Law Firm, Jurewitz Law Group and the Levinson Law Group, which all post interesting articles regularly and make a good use of communities and circles. But even more important is the use of YouTube – which is owned by Google. The Morales Law Firm is particularly good at taking advantage of this, posting videos from their channel that put them ahead of the game.
A little closer to home we also recommend a peek at Slater & Gordon… really very good!
But there’s loads more… We’ve done a handy workbook all about Google+ that you can download when you click here… and if you want to know even more, just get in touch on email@example.com.